This year’s Art in School themed, “Nostalgia Pre-Independence Jamaica” was held in recognition of Jamaica’s fiftieth anniversary of independence. The students were encouraged, under the theme to depict in their various art works what independence meant to them.
The results were amazing, students created 2d objects such as masks, coal pots and coal stoves. There were also intricately designed drawings of things Jamaican. Fourteen schools participated in the 2012 competition and through the theme were able to reveal their perceptions about reality in their artistic productions. The winner of the 2012 Art in Preparatory Schools was Immaculate Preparatory who won the K Wilson James Shield for Best Overall, and we congratulate them, along with the other recipients of awards:
- K. Wilson James Cup “Composition & Design,” Liguanea Preparatory School
- The Y de Lima Cup “Presentation and Finish,” Monsignor Colin Bryan Preparartory School
- The Institute of Jamaica Cup “Creativity and Originality,” Wolmer’s Preparatory School
- Certificate of Merit “Best Group Work,” Liguanea Preparatory School
- Certificate of Merit “Best Fiber Art Application,” Monsignor Colin Bryan Preparatory School
- Certificate of Merit “Best Textile Application,” Lannaman’s Preparatory School
- Teacher’s Awards “Outstanding Visual Arts Instruction,” Queen’s Preparatory School
The event was made possible by our sponsors and judges for whom we must say special thanks. The judges were Mr. Howard Moo Young, Mr. Stanford Watson and Mr. Cleon Golding. The companies providing sponsorship of prizes were: Palace Amusement Ltd., Coco Jam Party Ltd., Pugh’s Photo Lab, Sangster’s Bookstores Ltd., Crayola, Novelty Trading Company Ltd., The Art Centre, Delmay Distributors, Liguanea Drug & Garden, Carlong Publishers Ltd., and WinMon Catering.